Common household items could be deadly to your pet

In honor of Pet Poison Prevention Week, our Animal Services Center is reminding pet owners about many household items that could put their pets’ lives at risk. Most folks know chocolate is bad for Fido, but there are other common items that could cause harm to a pet.

Several plants are toxic to dogs and cats. Lilies are extremely poisonous to cats. In fact, if a cat ingests just one or two petals or even a small amount of pollen while grooming its fur, it could be fatal. Other poisonous plants include daffodils, aloe vera and azaleas.

Everyday human over-the-counter medication, dietary supplements and prescription pills are the most common toxins pets ingest. Products like ibuprofen, acetaminophen and naproxen; antihistamines; cold and flu medications; antidepressants; ADHD medications; and heart medicine should be kept in a safe place away from pets.

Household toxins can be as simple as bleach, paint, glue, insecticides, rodenticides, carpet fresheners/shampoos, essential oils, fabric softener sheets, grout, toilet cleaning tablets and Febreze.

Certain human foods are also dangerous – including Xylitol (candy and gum), onions, garlic, grapes, raisins, chocolate, alcohol, caffeine, nuts, raw meat and bones.

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) has a free mobile app (available in the App Store and Google Play) that helps owners identify more than 300 potential everyday hazards, providing crucial information about the severity of the problem and critical next steps.


Posted in 2019, Top-Stories.