Code Enforcement – General Information

The Code Enforcement Division enforces the City’s Municipal Code as it applies to property maintenance, property nuisances, building codes, housing, zoning and other areas of concern within residential and commercial districts. Code Enforcement Division works closely with City and County Departments in order to resolve issues that adversely affect the quality of life of the citizens and business owners of Aliso Viejo. The City focuses on public education as the way to gain voluntary compliance with the Aliso Viejo’s Municipal Code and steers abatement actions through coordinated and cooperative measures with the community. Over 80% of all reported cases to Code Enforcement are resolved within a week.

Examples of common cases handled by the Code Enforcement Division:
•    Overgrown weeds, vegetation, junk and other debris visible from a public street. 
•    Buildings in disrepair. 
•    Structures used in violation of the Building or Zoning Code. 
•    Work conducted without City permits. 
•    Illegal structures. 
•    Prohibited types of home based businesses. 
•    Garage Sale, Open House and other signs placed on public property. 
•    Prohibited discharge into storm drain systems.

Once the City receives a complaint, the Code Enforcement Division investigates the matter and if necessary, contacts the responsible party to resolve any violations found. If the violation is not corrected within a reasonable given time period, the Code Enforcement Division will issue an Administrative Citation. Administrative Citation fines start at $100 and incrementally escalate each time ($200, $500, etc.) if the responsible party fails to correct the violation. If this proves unproductive, formal civil or criminal enforcement proceedings may follow.  The Municipal Code is available on the City of Aliso Viejo website.

How to file a complaint or communicate a concern:
Anyone may file a complaint or report a concern to the City. This can be done by mail at 12 Journey Suite 100, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656; by phone at 949-425-2539; by e-mail at; or a complaint form can be completed and submitted at City Hall (view complaint form).  The reporting party may choose to remain anonymous. The names of all reporting parties are maintained in confidence by the City and will not be released except pursuant to discovery during litigation of a Public Records Act request. Disclosure through a Public Records Act request shall be reviewed by the City Attorney prior to release.

Posted in Code Enforcement.