General Municipal Elections
The City of Aliso Viejo consolidates its General Municipal Election with the County of Orange in conjunction with its Statewide General Election on the first Tuesday of November of even-numbered years. The City Clerk oversees administration of municipal elections and election services for the City. All election services are provided according to the California Elections Code.
Information contained on this page is for candidates for Aliso Viejo City Council only. Candidates running for offices on special district boards that represent Aliso Viejo residents should contact the Orange County Registrar of Voters at (714) 567-7600 or visit their website for additional information.
General Municipal Election Information
The City’s next General Municipal Election will be held on November 6, 2018. City Councilmembers are elected at-large for a four-year term and serve “staggered” terms. In 2018, two City Council seats will be open for election. The two remaining seats will be open for election in 2020.
Eligibility for Candidacy
To be eligible to run for City Council, a person must be a registered voter of Aliso Viejo at the time nomination papers are issued. In order to qualify as a registered voter in Aliso Viejo you must be:
- A United States citizen
- A resident of Aliso Viejo
- At least 18 years of age on the date of the next election
- Not in prison or on parole for a felony conviction
- Voter Registration – The Orange County Registrar of Voters is responsible for countywide voter registration and vote-by-mail applications. Registration deadline is 15 days prior to an election. Additional information is available on the California Secretary of State’s website.
- Local Election Results – The Orange County Registrar of Voters provides local election results.
- Statewide Election Results – The California Secretary of State provides statewide election results.